Info for Food & Drink Establishments
WHAT ARE RENO FOOD & DRINK WEEK AND SPARKS FOOD & DRINK WEEK?
Reno Food & Drink Week and Sparks Food & Drink Week are community events designed to support and celebrate local food and drink establishments.
The 2023 Reno Food & Drink Week is tentatively scheduled for May 31-June 7, 2023 and the Sparks Food & Drink Week is tentatively scheduled for June 7-14, 2023.
Cheree Boteler is the founder & owner of the Hungry in Reno and Hungry in Sparks brands and the event organizer.
Special note: To be eligible to participate, food & drink establishments are required to offer a specialty item or fixed price menu/drink flight that either will only be available during these weeks or will be launched the week of the event.
IMPORTANT NOTE: These events are NOT about discounting your offerings. It’s about FEATURING the talents of your staff by offering a dish, drink, flight, menu, etc. that is exclusive for the week and then when guests arrive, providing an excellent experience. Please remember this when choosing the item(s) you plan to offer.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Any establishment that offers food and/or drink items (including but not limited to restaurants, casino restaurants & bars, breweries, bars (coffee & alcohol), cocktail lounges, distilleries and food trucks) within the Reno/Sparks area.
WHAT IF I’M A BAR, BREWERY OR DISTILLERY AND DON’T OFFER FOOD BUT WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE?
If you do not serve any food items at your establishment, we would love to have you participate by offering a special fixed price flight or specialty cocktail/beverage for Food & Drink Week participants.
WHAT IF I’M FOOD TRUCK?
Either let us know your location for the week (if you already have a location planned) and offer a fixed price menu or specialty item that will either only be available the week of this event or will be launched the week of the event.
If you don’t have a location set already for the week, consider teaming up with a local drink establishment that doesn’t serve food to offer a special at their location for the week of the event.
WHAT IF I’M A CATERING COMPANY, COTTAGE BAKER OR MEAL PREP SERVICE?
Same deal really, it’ll just be delivered or takeout. Offer a fixed price menu or specialty item that either will only be available the week of this event or will be launched the week of the event. We will simply share how your items can be ordered and either picked up or delivered.
HOW DOES PARTICIPATING IN THIS FOOD & DRINK WEEK BENEFIT MY BUSINESS?
There are several ways participating in Reno Food & Drink Week and/or Sparks Food & Drink Week will benefit your business:
- It is a great way for you to draw in new customers and also keep existing customers satisfied and interested.
- Receive a boost in your traffic not only during the event but also before and after the event.
- Gives you a chance to impress customers with your food, drinks and service. A high-quality experience may persuade some guests to come back and become repeat customers.
- Shows your commitment to our community and boost your reputation as a high-quality restaurant within the community.
- Can also help improve the local economy and build the reputation of the area as a foodie destination, which can improve tourism.
WHAT IS THE COST FOR AN ESTABLISHMENT TO PARTICIPATE?
It is $150 for an establishment to become a participant for one event or $250 to participate in both events. Additionally, the establishment must be willing to provide a complimentary tasting of the item(s) they will be featuring for the week(s) and a raffle item (valued at $25 or more) to be raffled off after the events. Establishments are also encouraged to consider donating a portion of their Food & Drink Week menu item sales to a local charity of their choice.
Special discounts are available to any establishment that registers before January 1, 2023.
WHAT WILL MY ESTABLISHMENT RECEIVE AS A PARTICIPANT?
Establishments registered by March 1, 2023 will receive the following:
- Digital, print and media recognition leading up to and during Reno Food & Drink Week/Sparks Food & Drink Week The event, and its participants, will be heavily promoted via social media, direct mail, print, e-mail, television and digital media, community calendars and more.
- Hungry in Reno will schedule a mutually agreeable day/time to visit the establishment, taste the item(s) and photograph item(s) for use on social media posts promoting the event and the establishment offering. (Tasting must occur between March 1 and May 1, 2023 to receive this benefit. The establishment will be responsible for covering all costs involved in this tasting.) SCHEDULE YOUR TASTING TIME
- The establishment will be listed as a food and drink week participant for the entire year on the Reno Food & Drink Week and/or Sparks Food & Drink Week webpages housed on Hungry in Reno’s website and then on the year’s archived webpage.
- All print materials required for the event. Materials are to be delivered to the establishment at least one week before the event.*
- Your establishment will have access to special opportunities from sponsors & partners.
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS A PARTICIPANT?
As a participant you must commit to providing the following:
- A high-resolution logo for your establishment. Due upon registration. Please e-mail this to [email protected].
- Register and pay your participation fee on or before March 1, 2023.
- Create a fixed price menu or specialty item(s) that will be exclusively available for purchase the entire week. Final menu must be provided to Hungry in Reno on or before April 1, 2023.
- Schedule a mutually agreeable day/time between March 1 and May 1, 2023 for Hungry in Reno to visit your establishment, taste the item(s) and take photographs. SCHEDULE YOUR TASTING TIME
- A gift card/certificate/item valued at $25 or more to be raffled off at the finale event. Item details due to Hungry in Reno on or before May 1, 2023.
- Establishments are also encouraged to consider donating a portion of their Food & Drink Week menu item sales to a local charity of their choice.
- Provide the BEST experience possible to all your guests during the event.
Please note that deadlines must be adhered to due to printing timelines and social media schedules. If your establishment misses a deadline you will not receive full marketing benefits allocated to participants.
HOW CAN I GET THE MOST OUT OF THESE FOOD & DRINK WEEKS?
Once you have committed and paid to be a participant in Reno Food & Drink Week and/or Sparks Food & Drink Week, you will want to do as much as you can to make the most out of the opportunity. During the event, guests are going to have the choice to visit many different establishments so you will want to be the one that everyone remembers and comes back to after the event has ended. Here are some suggestions on how to make this happen:
- IMPORTANT NOTE: This event is NOT about discounting your offerings. It’s about FEATURING the talents of your staff by offering a dish, drink, flight, menu, etc. that is exclusive for the week and then providing an excellent experience that will, hopefully, entice them to share their experience with others and come back throughout the year. Please remember this when choosing the item(s) you plan to offer.
- Stand out from the crowd for your creativity, use these events as an occasion to serve experimental and unique dishes or to feature a new menu item that you will be offering throughout the season/year.
- When planning your menu, take a look at the other establishments that are participating. If there are establishments that are similar to yours, consider what they may be serving and how can you diversify yourself from them.
- Give customers more than they expect. Make sure that guests feel like VIPs the moment they enter your establishment.
- Appeal to different target audiences. People of all ages, demographics and walks of life will be taking part in this restaurant week, which gives you the chance to appeal to a wide audience. When you are creating your menu, you should also be considerate of dietary restrictions and offer at least once option for vegetarians and people with food allergies.
- Partner with local business. Consider teaming up with a local winery, brewery, distillery or distributor to offer a complete food and drink package. Also consider utilizing fresh local food as much as possible. This is a great way to help another business increase its branding and it will show your restaurant as a true partner in the community, which is what Reno Food & Drink Week and Sparks Food & Drink Week are all about.
- SPECIAL NOTE: I receive many requests throughout the year from locals and visitors asking me where they should visit for an amazing dining experience, when I receive these requests, my first recommendation is for them to take a look at the list of participants in these events. It is a list that many locals and visitors reference throughout the year to decide on a location to visit.
- REMEMBER … as a participant in these events, you also receive COMPLIMENTARY marketing throughout the ENTIRE year via the event brand(s) as well as the Hungry in Reno and/or Hungry in Sparks brands — TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS by submitting your specials and/or news to Cheree!
DOES RENO FOOD & DRINK WEEK BENEFIT A CHARITY?
While this is not a charity event but a community event with the purpose of supporting and celebrating local food & drink establishments, a portion of the net proceeds* of both of these events will be donated to a local charity or charities. Additionally, establishments are encouraged to consider donating a portion of their Food & Drink Week menu item sales to a local charity of their choice.
*Net proceeds = remainder of funds after expenses